NEW REGULATIONS AS OF 19/6/2015
Regulation on Passenger Rights (Government Gazette 1181/19-6-2015) (click here for the full law)
b. TRANSPORTATION WITH ANIMALS
−The transportation of small companion animals by road and on fixed tracks is allowed, at the passenger’s own risk and at the discretion of the driver or other authorized personnel of the carrier, depending on the vehicle/train occupancy conditions and passenger safety, except for assistance dogs, provided that
- It is placed in a secure transport crate, closed type, with dimensions up to 70 cm. x 40cm. x 50cm. for regular urban lines or in a secure transport crate, of closed type with dimensions up to 50cm. x 40cm. x 35cm. for intercity routes regular as well as emergency routes.
- They are accompanied by their owner or keeper.
- The owner or keeper of the animal carries the individual health booklet – passport of the animal.
- The owner or keeper of the animal is present nearby and ensures that no injury or disturbance is caused to other passengers.
- They should place them in the free spaces of the vehicles/carriages, away from the aisles, passenger entry/exit points, and ticket validation areas, to ensure the safe movement of other passengers.
- In the case of long-distance and international regular and occasional transports, animals must be transported inside the passenger compartment and under no circumstances in the luggage compartment (including the case of animals inside crates).
− Specifically, assistance dogs, namely trained guide dogs for the blind and assistance dogs for individuals with disabilities, as well as dogs in the process of training as assistance dogs, are transported as follows:
- They are transported without a transport cage and muzzle, as long as they wear a handling leash, regardless of their size.
- The user or trainer of the assistance dog, as the case may be, carries and presents, whenever requested by the Controllers of the Conductor or by specially authorized employees for this purpose, the legally required documents certifying the adequacy of the animal’s training (if trained or undergoing training), its health, as well as evidence that the user or trainer of the assistance dog has the relevant certification and proof of the dog’s use.
- In the case of a user or trainer who is a citizen of the EU or a third-country national but resides in Greece for a short period, the necessary certificates, as issued by an official authority or service of the country of origin, must be translated into the English language. In the case of a long-term stay of the user or trainer in Greece (e.g., for work purposes, permanent residence, etc.), the aforementioned certificates must be officially translated into the Greek language by the Authorities of Greece abroad (Embassies, etc.), as defined by the relevant applicable legislation.
- The user or trainer, as applicable, of the assistance dog must ensure the cleanliness of the vehicle/carriage and the unobstructed passage and movement of the other passengers within the vehicle/carriage. It is noted that in the event of causing damage, the general provisions of the Civil Code regarding the liability of the owner of an animal for damage caused by it to a third party apply (Article 924 of the Civil Code).