Milestones


1952
KTEL THESSALONIKIS company was founded on August 1952. With a view to better the public service, KTEL (acronym translates to “Joint Bus Receipts Fund”) was established under 2119/1952 law. From the initial 104 KTEL, numbers 39 and 54 served the city of Thessaloniki. Additional routes further reinforced the transportations, which until that time, were served by the railway or privately owned buses.

 

 
 
 
1973
In 1973, under (Presidential Decree) LD 102/73 102/1973 “KTEL of Thessaloniki Prefecture” was established and thereupon assigned the settlement transportation coverage of the Thessaloniki Prefecture, not served at that time by OASTH and the Thessaloniki-Athens route/line in 1979.
 
 
 
1979
In 1979, a large share from the 2 Intercity KTEL was attached to the line service of OASTH, then extended to the districts of Mihaliona, Epanomi, Oraiokastro, Asvestohori, Sidnos etc. In truth, the 54th KTEL was absorbed in full into OASTH, contributing with 103 of the 206 intercity KTEL buses. Each of the 103 buses could in fact be property of more than one owner (joint-ownership). In addition to that, KTEL of Thessaloniki Prefecture possessed 10 jointly-owned buses.
 
 
 
2003
In August 2003, by making use of act 2963/200, enabling the KTEL’s conversion to companies of limited liability (LLC), either by allowing all past owners to keep their buses or by contributing with their use, “KTEL THESSALONIKIS PUBLIC LIMITED LIABILITY TRANSPORT, TOURIST AND TRADING COMPANY” was established with an additional bus fee contribution and under the distinctive title “KTEL THESSALONIKIS S.A.”, was registered on 25-8-2003 at the Limited Liability Company Registry of the Thessaloniki Prefectural Administration Company Directorate (license number MAE 55051/62/B/03/0162. All past motorists contributed their buses to the company hence forming an owner-free capital company of limited liability. Since then, it operates as a multi-shareholding S.A. with a share registry of around 200 shareholders.

 

During September of 2003, the Greek state called upon an additional urban transportation extension, which was assigned to OASTH, without the use of buses owned by KTEL THESSALONIKIS S.A. Thus, since September 2003, an additional number of 15 Prefecture municipalities (Langada, Koufalion, Basilikon, etc.) are being served by OASTH. In exchang, 26 OASTH equities/stocks were given to “KTEL THESSALONIKIS S.A.” and a staff of approximately 200, was transferred from KTEL to OASTH. KTEL withdrew all of its remaining, “post-expansion” buses and now serves 9 municipalities of the Thessaloniki Prefecture: 1. Agios Georgios, 2. Apollonia, 3. Arethousa, 4. Vertikou, 5. Egnatia, 6. Kallindoion, 7. Maditou, 8. Rentina and 9. Sohou) and naturally the Thessaloniki-Athens & Piraeus line.

 
 
 
2011
During January 2011, all public transport extends throughout the Regional Unit of Thessaloniki. As a result of that, OASTH becomes in charge of passenger transportation from the city of Thessaloniki to Langadas, now connected with regional villages via local feeder lines operated by KTEL THESSALONIKI (in a regular, single fare). Furthermore, KTEL THESSALONIKI applied a 50% reduction (as of 1-1-2011), on all ticket prices of its two serving lines (Thessaloniki-Zagliveri and Thessaloniki-Asprovalta).
 
 
 
2015
Currently, KTEL THESSALONIKI S.A. is offering even more. With its continuous service development, fleet and vehicle equipment upgrade and with an ongoing training of its staff, it serves in a credible and safe way all those who entrust its lines. With ongoing positive steps, we shape a better future in transportation, so that your every journey is even better.
 

 


1896
The first intercity bus, a 14-seat vehicle assembled in France, served the Athens-Thiva line in 1896. All city and intercity line service remained inchoate until 1920, operated by individuals engaged in public transport independent of any state supervision.
 
 
 
1937
In 1937, the principal provisions of a common administration for both city and intercity buses were founded. Therefore, 1937 can be considered the starting point for all public bus transport.
 
 
 
1952
In 1952, under act/law 2119/1952 and by changing their legal status, KTEL (“Joint Bus Receipts Fund”) were established in each individual prefecture and with distinct administrative jurisdictions. From the initial 104 KTEL, 59 performed intercity services.
 
 
 
1967
In 1967, 6 of the Attica city KTEL merged into 1, 45 intercity mainland and Crete KTEL merged into 8 KTEYL (stands for “Joint Intercity Bus Receipts Fund”), while the remaining 53 kept their accrual-based operation. Even though the particular 53 were subsequently integrated into 8 KTEYL, they did not operate as (well as) expected.
 
 
 
1973
KTEL were structured in their best-known and final form in 1973 and under LD 102/1973, redefined from specific, obligatory motorist cooperative to Anonymous Companies of passenger Transportation, Tourist and Merchant services.
 
 
 
2001
This occurred in 2001, with the passage of law 2963/2001, enacting the framework for all KTEL to operate as “anonymous companies”.
 
 
 
Today
Currently, there are 61 KTEL serving Greece as a whole, with 180 million passengers per year (each prefecture maintaining a distinct KTEL service and lines).

 

KTEL are supervised by the Minister of Transport and the Regional Governor of each location office and managed by an elected administrative board as a public limited company (anonymous company S.A.). Despite operating as private companies not subsidized directly by the state (compared to other public passenger transport), KTEL are non-profit-making entities of state supervision. KTEL rates are set by the state, insuring transportation as a public service of high importance.

 
Copyright © 2015
Design & Development by Darwin